Thursday, November 22, 2012

With A Thankful Heart

On the occasion of Thanksgiving, I would like to take the opportunity to thank the readers of this blog, It Matters.  What started as a way to vent my opinions has come to mean a great deal to me.  I know some of you visit regularly, and that you take that time to read what I have to say (usually) daily, is incredible and humbling to me.  Last night this blog received it's 2,000th view.  I have readers all over the world--from Ireland the UK, Australia and Germany to Argentina, and even China.  It continues to be my hope that this place and these words are a conversation starter.  I hope it is a different way of looking at an issue, or maybe you'll learn some little fact you didn't know before and that you'll talk about it to your spouse or your friends.  That's how change happens.  It all starts with words--with a conversation, and I'm deeply thankful that you allow me to be part of it.

As I sit down to enjoy a traditional turkey dinner today, I am also grateful for a host of other things both personally and politically.  Here's my list, I wonder how it compares to yours...

I am thankful that President Barack Obama was elected for four more years.  He'll have an opportunity to finish what he started and we're better for it.  He isn't perfect, and there are still some criticisms and disappointments, but at the heart of it all I believe him to be a good man of strong character and integrity.  He has given me what he promised; hope.



I am thankful that Mitt Romney is pumping his own gas.  After his multitude of outright lies during the campaign, his arrogance and his condescending attitude toward 47% of the American people, it serves him right to have to do such a menial task for himself--just like the rest of us.  I hope he suffers for every single job he and his cronies at Bain Capital stole from an American worker and sent overseas.  I hope he is haunted for the rest of his days for every company in this country that he tore apart in the name of avarice.  

I am thankful that the election saw the tea party weakened and their numbers in Congress diminished.  I am thankful for a Republican party that seems to have learned that the country is not comprised of middle-aged white men and that in order to remain relevant they must reach out to Hispanic voters.  Immigration reform and a clear path to citizenship are on the table and that is progress.

I am thankful for a United States Senate that represents the real America for once.  People of color and women are reflected in their ranks.  Men and women of different faiths and ethnicity are represented.  It is cause for much celebration.

I am thankful for Chris Christie, who despite harsh criticism from his party, stepped up when his state needed him and demonstrated the true meaning of bipartisanship and didn't give a damn what anyone else thought.  I don't agree with his policies or his solutions to the many problems in New Jersey, but he's certainly earned my respect for his actions in the wake of Super-storm Sandy and for giving credit where credit was due to our President.
from left: Katie, Madilynn, me, Matt, Becca, Breanna and Tabitha

On the personal side, I am endlessly thankful every day for my wonderful children and my beautiful granddaughter.  They are truly my magnum opus and I am so proud of all of them.  I'm also quite proud to welcome my wonderful son-in-law, Roberto to our family.  He's a wonderful father to Madilynn and the hardest working young man I've ever known.  Suegra loves you, Berto!  

  
Me with my partner in crime!
I am thankful every day for the man who holds my hand and my heart, my loving husband, Ethan.  He is my best friend and partner in all things.  Without his love and endless support I couldn't do what I do.  Thank you, Ethan for being my biggest fan and for putting up with me when I'm not so lovable.  You mean the world to me and I don't tell you that nearly enough.  So, I'm telling you now, and telling everyone else while I'm at it.


I am thankful for my kitties.  My four pawed companions, who in truth own the place and let me live here because I know how to open cans.  They are constantly underfoot, get in my way when I'm busy and love to lay on my keyboard--but their love is unconditional and they are a source of endless comfort in times of trouble.  They are always available with a purr and a nuzzle when I need it most.  Humans need the love of a pet; it is one of the things that makes life so much richer.  
from left: Mr. Nibbles and Alley Cat

Finally, as I said before, I am thankful for you, my readers.  Thank you for sharing your time with me and for taking an interest in what I have to say.  HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! Make sure you take the time to express your thankfulness with those close to your heart today, and keep in mind those who are less fortunate than we...despite the rhetoric of the last campaign, they are not the enemy--they are our brothers and sisters, and we are their keeper.






3 comments:

  1. Thank you my love, I love you too. You are my world and I am very happy that you write this blog it gives us the time to discuss these thihings.
    Your ever supportive husband
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a blessed ThanksGiving for you and Ethan

    ReplyDelete