Sunday, December 23, 2012

Finding Perspective--Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas

Like most of you, I've been busy gearing up for the holidays!  The presents are wrapped in sparkling, colorful paper and shiny, curly ribbons.  The cookies are baked and oh, so sweet.  The lights on my Christmas tree are a source of joy to me, as I love those twinkling lights.  The best part is that I will be sharing the holidays with the people I love most, either in person, or by phone or Skype.  I am blessed that my family is healthy and well.  

Still my mind strays to those parents in Newtown whose lives are forever changed.  There will be no joy for them this Christmas.  My heart truly, deeply aches for these people, whom I have never met, nor am I likely to.  It doesn't matter--we are connected as fellow parents.  A piece of myself was lost the day their children were so cruelly taken from them; a piece of all compassionate people was lost.  We are less as a nation in light of this unbearable tragedy.

I am disheartened by the Wayne Lapierre's of the world.  I am disheartened by the inability of our Congress to come together and act in the best interest of our nation's people.  It makes me angry that this country is such a mess and if I dwell on it too much I become overwhelmed with feelings of despair.  Sometimes it is best to step back and take a break from politics and the troubles of the world and just enjoy the blessings that are bestowed upon us.  So that's what I've been up to lately; regaining my perspective.  Over the next few days, I encourage you to do the same.  

Remember this though:  It's only a short break, for we cannot afford to rest for long.  We must continue, each of us in our own small way, to fight for positive change in this country.  It is up to us to fix things.  We must continue to be ever vigilant and active.  We must not become apathetic, because that's exactly what got the country in this mess in the first place--apathy.  If anything is to be changed, it must begin with us.  In the words of Ghandi, "Be the change you want to see in the world." 

I thank you again for reading my thoughts and opinions, and for sharing yours with me.  Thank you for every time you shared my words through the power of social media.  Thank you for joining me in being an involved and active participant in our political process.  

So, from my family to yours, Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanza, Happy Hanukkah, Lo Saturnalia,  a Blessed Solstice and a Happy Festivus!!  Here's to hoping that 2013 is a good year for all of us, and for the country as well.   Peace and light to all of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment