Saturday, December 15, 2012

An Open Letter to Huckabee & Fisher

Dear Brian and Mike,
So you have the unmitigated gall to stand before this nation and tell us that the reason a mad man took the lives of 26 innocent human beings, including 20 small children is because there is no organized prayer in school.  You said that god doesn't go where he is not welcome and therefore, god wasn't present at the school.

I'd very much like to put your theory to the test.  Since you're both "god-fearing" men who undoubtedly welcome god into your home and places of employment by starting your day with an organized prayer, I propose that I be allowed to practice my Constitutional right to bear arms by leveling a semi-automatic military style rifle at a spot right between your god-seeing eyes and squeezing off as many rounds as my extra-large clip will hold.  I'm sure you've no doubt that god will render you bullet proof, as you are such devout Christians and live such extraordinary, exemplary, morally upright lives that you are beyond reproach and certainly above the laws of earthly physics.  God will protect you, just as certainly as he would have protected those children, had he only received an invitation via knee-mail.

I beg you to let me test my theory.  I fiercely believe that the world will be a better place in light of the results.

Sincerely,

Stephanie Mann--someone's mother.

8 comments:

  1. Ignorance and arrogance don't mix well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and the comments by Huckabee, Fisher and anyone else who has stated that this tragedy is the result of banning organized prayer in public schools are clearly both. I can't help but wonder if either of these men have the guts to stand before these grieving parents and say it to their faces.

      Delete
  2. God was welcome during the Crusades, Bubonic Plague, the Revolutionary War, WWI, WWII, Vietnam, and guess what? People died anyway! I don't have anything against God, but historically, when someone has a gun pointed at them, God doesn't reach down and block the shot because the intended victim prayed that morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I deeply respect other people's right to practice what ever religion they so choose. I have tremendous respect people of faith who actually live that faith in both word and deed. However, I have serious issues with people who try to cram their belief system down my throat, or my child's throat or anyone else's for that matter. Prayer is not banned in public school. Students are free to offer up silent prayers to what ever god they so choose. Forcing children to pray a specific prayer to a god selected by the local board of education was ruled unconstitutional. The comments by Huckabee and Fisher are just another example of radical christians refusing to respect anyone else's faith or a person's right to have no faith at all. I can't really see how they're different than radical Muslims or any other religious cult. Since April 20, 1999 (the morning of the massacre in Littleton, CO, God has not seen fit to offer divine intervention in any mass shooting in this nation, despite the many prayers of the devout from all corners of the globe. Still I find myself wishing that Huckabee and Fisher would take me up on my offer.

      Delete
  3. Right on as usual, people have used religion as a way of not dealing with the harsh realities of the world and in their lives. I live in the real world and I am a mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand people's need to feel like we're not alone in this world, that there's some supreme creator who is infinitely loving, always watching over us and protecting us. It's a hell of a lot harder to believe that we're on our own. You're right in saying that people use faith as a way of not dealing with the big problems--that happens a lot and I find it sad and disconcerting to say the least when people rely on prayer rather than taking an active stand and trying to make the world a better place. Don't they say that god helps those who help themselves?

      Delete
  4. Wгiston Fellow, "Tools for Better Budgets: Options for State and Local Governments to Manage Employee Costs,"
    ӏssuе Brief No. The coгporаtion tаx ratе is tо be геԁuced to 25%
    frοm 1 April 2012. The requirementѕ mаy νaгy between
    eасh state, аlthough eligible pеrsons within the
    low income braсket may be regardеd аs qualifyіng by Medіcaіd for
    making direсt payments to their meԁical billѕ.



    Feel fгee tο surf tο mу homepagе .

    .. private health insurance Hospital cover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such а plаn would coνеr you and your familу in the
    eѵent there is а waіting peгiod thаt yοur
    neω employeг requires before you сan bе addеd
    to their group plan. "Understanding the Student Health Insurance Requirements at Your College" Health Insuranсe Finԁers:
    . You would then havе the optiоn of gοing to sіteѕ lіke anԁ requеѕt a frеe hеalth іnsuгancе
    quоte.

    Here іѕ my page; individual health care insurance

    ReplyDelete