Friday, September 28, 2012

It's Time to Get Real

* Before we get started you should know that this piece represents my own impressions and opinions and is in no way endorsed by the Shinagawa Campaign for for Congress.  Just sayin'.

So here's the thing...I've met a few politicians in my day.  Most of them are pretty standard issue.  They come out, shake hands, maybe kiss a baby.  They make speeches and promises.  They ask for your vote, and maybe a donation.  For the most part you can recite it to yourself in your head, because if you've met one--you've met them all.  Until tonight.  Tonight changed everything.
   I'm a volunteer with my local Democratic Committee.  I make phone calls, I work the store front, and I'm thinking of volunteering to make the scare crow to line the street where the storefront is located.  It's a matter of democratic pride, what with the Republicans up the street a bit.   But we're getting off topic.  I was invited to a house party to meet the Democratic challenger in the race against Tom Reed in the 23rd district in Upstate NY.  
  I've been a supporter of the Nate Shinagawa campaign for Congress.  That's who I'm working the phones for as a volunteer.  Now that I've met Nate--I'm not just a supporter...I'm a believer!!  Let me tell you about Nate.  He might be running for Congress, but he's no politician.  Nate Shinagawa is first and foremost a human being.  A man.  
This man is very much like us.  He has a job.  He goes to work.  He pays bills.  He gets frosting on his chin while eating his birthday cupcake.  Nate's just this guy.
   Except Nate is more.  He has a comprehensive understanding of policy.  His knowledge on the issues is second to none.  He is a veritable fountain of facts and figures that back up his platform.  But that's nothing new.  A lot of politicians are policy wonks, and that's a fantastic attribute to have in a candidate.  What sets Shinagawa apart is his abundance of energy, enthusiasm and idealism that is refreshing.  He has a compelling personality that is warm and compassionate, yet his passion shines through when he speaks on the issues that are important to him--and lucky for us they're the issues that matter to us too.  Not just nationally--but right here at home in the Southern Tier.  When I got home, I called everyone I know and told them..."You've gotta meet this guy"!! I've never said that to anyone after a political function before.  
  Damnit, we need someone in Congress who still believes that one man can make a difference.  We need someone in there who has the spirit to fight for what is right for us here at home...who doesn't believe in the "You scratch my back and I'll vote for your bill too" way that Congress has operated for far too long.  Frankly, I'm tired of the old guard doing things the old way in government.  It's time for fresh new ideas, and a fresh (and clean) way of doing things.  
   Nate Shinagawa is off the charts brilliant.  He has a deep and thorough understanding of healthcare issues from the inside out.  He believes in patient care and a firm bottom line, and that one doesn't have to be at odds with the other.  He possesses a deep concern for the environment, especially where hydro-fracking is concerned, and he is committed to keeping the Southern Tier a decent place to live--free from the scars of those who would rape our land for their profit, and leave us to clean up the mess.  He believes in boosting the economy and keeping jobs here in America.  
   Eventually, the questions at the event took a philosophical turn, and we were given a glimpse inside the man and his methods.  He proved to be thoughtful and contemplative--well considered.  Clearly, his wisdom greatly surpasses his years.  Nate is a man of integrity, warmth and compassion.  
  Like I said--I'm a believer!! Tom Reed has one hell of a race to run.  And although he might be great at walking Speaker Boehner's dogs--I'm betting he's not so good at running.  Reed might have those Super Pac dollars--but we have truth, nobility and human decency on our side.  I'm telling ya--you've gotta meet this guy.  He's gonna blow you away!!  

As always--if you haven't registered to vote, do it!! If you need help with the where's and when's...leave a message in the comments section and I'll get you the info you need.  If you're in the Southern Tier (Penn Yan, Elmira or surrounding area) I'll give you a ride if you need one.  After you've done that, join me in shouting from the roof tops that "We the People" are taking our government back...one Congressman at a time.  Here in Upstate New York, that means voting for Nate Shinagawa.  Because the most important characteristic our representative in Washington can have is humanity.  Nate has it in spades.  Nate Shinagawa is our Mr. Smith...and by god he's going to Washington!!!
VOTE NATE SHINAGAWA ON NOVEMBER 6TH!!!

2 comments:

  1. Very powerful and moving. He will get my vote after what you have told me (In truth he had it before), but now I know. Go Nate 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That'll be a vote well cast! :)

    ReplyDelete